Centre-Loire > Menetou-Salon
Located directly southwest of Sancerre, this relatively small appellation produces a similar range of high-quality white, red and rosé wines that offer excellent value.
Location: This vineyard in the Cher department covers ten communes: Menetou-Salon, Quantilly, Aubinges, Saint-Célos, Morogues, Parassy, Soulangis, Vignoux-sous-les-Aix, Pigny, and Humbligny.
- White: 310 hectares / 766 acres
- Red: 165 hectares / 408 acres
- Rosé: 20 hectares / 49 acres
Soil: The vines are planted in upper Jurassic Kimmeridgian limestone sediment. The rugged side (Cuesta) to the east (Morogues) softens toward the west as it moves nearer to Menetou-Salon.
Climate: Temperate climate with a continental influence. The average yearly temperature is comparable to that of Sancerre. Average annual rainfall is 850 mm (33.5 inches), the highest in the Centre-Loire, but not excessive.
- White: 15,000 hl / 396,258 gallons
- Red: 8,000 hl / 211,338 gallons
- Rosé: 700 hl / 18,492 gallons
- 65 hl/ha white
- 59 hl/ha red
- 63 hl/ha rosé
- White: Sauvignon Blanc
- Red and Rosé: Pinot Noir
Growing/Production Practices: Minimum planting density 5,600 vines/hectare with 8 bud simple Guyot or double Guyot pruning.
- Appearance: Pale straw yellow
- Nose: Vibrant and aromatic, with citrus fruit, spice and musk as well as herbaceous notes
- Flavors: Medium-bodied, with menthol and peppery accents coupled with fresh fruit and crisp acidity
- Appearance: Ruby red
- Nose: Ripe red cherry and plum
- Flavors: Medium-bodied with supple mouth feel and candied fruit notes
- Appearance: Pale salmon pink
- Nose: Fresh aromas of peach and nectarine
- Flavors: Light-bodied with refreshing tart fruit
- Pair crisp whites with a Potato and Goat Cheese Tart or Udon Noodles with Chicken, Shellfish and Vegetables
- Rosés complement Shellfish, Watermelon, Ceviche, or Grilled Tuna Salade Niçoise
- Try red Menetou-Salon with a Cellophane Noodle Salad and Roast Pork or Grilled Chicken in Shitake Mushroom Sauce